Contact us HERE

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Elegant Parlor

Anyone remember the Parlor? Before TV and video games, the center of entertainment was the parlor, where your best was presented to the guests and was the perfect atmosphere for the host to "put on airs". I remember my Grandmother, the best cook in the county, taking me to visit her well to do sister. With promises of cake and strawberries, I tagged along as Gramma met with her sister and other guests...I was impressed by the fancy room with nice chairs, tables and a large radio...Hot tea was served in cups with saucers. Everyone poured some of the hot liquid in the saucer and sipped as I was looking at the sister's cake on the platter. My grandmother seemed out of place with the other women but she always had a smile in her eyes that others did not. When I got my cake and took a bite, it tasted so bad that I coughed and spit it out to the horror of everyone except Gramma. She told me to go outside and play...a little later she gathered up her things, grabbed my hand and walked me home. The smile in her eyes was now on her face. It was later that I realized why she had said to me on the walk home that the "proof is in the pudding!"

3 comments:

ricktowner said...

Boy this takes me back to some of my old woman relatives parlors. One I remember had her parlor full of pictures of the dear departed relative in their caskets with a very nice portrait right next to it.

ThE MidLiFe CrUiSeR said...

What a great story, and a beautiful grandma you had. There's nothing better than having unconditional love.

Anonymous said...

t's such a great site. cool, extraordinarily stimulating!!!

-------

[url=http://oponymozgowe.pl]Opony[/url]
[url=http://pozycjonowanie.lagata.pl]Pozycjonowanie[/url]

[url=http://www.kmiast.pl/dolnoslaskie/w1/]opony[/url]